Author Topic: News: Less rollbacks, less minecarts  (Read 3590 times)

Offline Akomine (OP)

• Staff Member | Administrator
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 666
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
News: Less rollbacks, less minecarts
« on: 27 January 2013, 05:27:17 PM »
I coded an autosave feature to run every 5 minutes, meaning that should cut back on rollbacks big time.

ClearLag removes ground items/entities every hour, and we re-added minecarts to this sweep.
If you see the 2 minute warning, consider grabbing your cart and waiting a moment.

Ako is gay and has superaids - Air

Offline Airbongo

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 69
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
Re: News: Less rollbacks, less minecarts
« Reply #1 on: 27 January 2013, 05:45:51 PM »
Gud gud

Kovos_Datch

« Reply #2 on: 27 January 2013, 06:04:22 PM »
ClearLag removes ground items/entities every hour, and we re-added minecarts to this sweep.
If you see the 2 minute warning, consider grabbing your cart and waiting a moment.

Thank the Lordy! Now we won't have rail backups.

I am Kovos_Datch and I approve this message.

Offline Braingkk

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 0
    • View profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 January 2013, 06:13:58 PM »
just my 2 cents, but if the plugin only clears loaded chunks, and most of the minecarts sitting around are not in loaded chunks, wont it be more of a hassle then a boon?

that said it prob will help at locations like gerudo exchange where it is sorta close to civilization, but even there it isnt always loaded if my assumption is correct that the server only loads 8 chunks

Offline Akomine (OP)

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 666
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 January 2013, 08:46:56 AM »
just my 2 cents, but if the plugin only clears loaded chunks, and most of the minecarts sitting around are not in loaded chunks, wont it be more of a hassle then a boon?

that said it prob will help at locations like gerudo exchange where it is sorta close to civilization, but even there it isnt always loaded if my assumption is correct that the server only loads 8 chunks

We are doing it specifically for stations that get carts backing up the lines. A chunk is 16x16 blocks if i remember correctly, and the server has WAY more than 8 loaded at a time. I'm not sure if you have access, but try typing /lag and it will tell you exactly how many chunks are loaded.
Carts deep in the outlands between towns, just sitting on the rails in unloaded chunks are perhaps annoying, but not that big a deal. You can often just push them to the next station where they can go get deleted.

Ako is gay and has superaids - Air

Offline Runek

• Cheese
  • Where there's a Shadow, there's a Light.
    • View profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 January 2013, 08:59:48 AM »
You can also break any stray minecarts you come across if they are in your way. :)

The rail line is protected, so you can't break blocks, but you can break minecarts.

Offline Braingkk

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 January 2013, 09:28:42 AM »

We are doing it specifically for stations that get carts backing up the lines. A chunk is 16x16 blocks if i remember correctly, and the server has WAY more than 8 loaded at a time. I'm not sure if you have access, but try typing /lag and it will tell you exactly how many chunks are loaded.
Carts deep in the outlands between towns, just sitting on the rails in unloaded chunks are perhaps annoying, but not that big a deal. You can often just push them to the next station where they can go get deleted.

based on what i know about servers, the average radius of loaded chunks per player ranges from 6-15 chunks in each direction. that said, yes more then just 8 total per player, rather 162 per player, or 256 chunks per player

now i dont have access to the /lag command so i cannot say for sure how many chunks are loaded at any given point in time, but even if we are on the far end of the scale with a 15 chunk radius,(approximately 240 block radius) there still will be plenty of times when the jam points aren't loaded.

i do support the minecart removal, as i have experienced the jams at times, but im not sure if it really will help much

Offline Runek

• Cheese
  • Where there's a Shadow, there's a Light.
    • View profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 January 2013, 09:34:34 AM »
There are other things that effect what chunks are loaded and stay loaded. Certain plugins have features that keep chunks loaded for entities that are persistant. NPCs, etc.

We'll watch and see how this works - if necessary I'll upgrade the track to be more unforgiving with abandoned carts, but I'm sure people would like to see more villages connected first. ;)

Keep up with the input though! It's very much appreciated. :)