Author Topic: This made me sad :(  (Read 32745 times)

Offline Airbongo (OP)

• Staff Member | Administrator
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 69
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile

Offline Airbongo (OP)

• Cheese
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
Re: This made me sad :(
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2014, 01:49:11 AM »
I really can't begin to understand this logic. They will use faith to cure the cancer that god gave their daughter?

Offline SirLogiC

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 0
    • View profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2014, 02:28:07 AM »
I don't really have qualms against religion. I think some of the rules they have are silly, like not eating pork or praying at particular times or places. If it helps someone live a happy and good life though then sure it's fine.

Fundamentalist religion is the scourge of good though. Like that utterly retarded shit from certain US politicians that raped women shouldn't have abortions because it's God's will to have the child, Muslims with their "jihad", faith healers and healing anywhere for serious illness, scientologists and their rejection of psychoactive medical drugs that have led to some people dying.

Large image sorry, but apt.

Offline Airbongo (OP)

• Cheese
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2014, 11:29:47 AM »
Haha good shit. Sam Harris looks so scrawny, lol.

Offline Akomine

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 666
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2014, 12:45:16 AM »
Fucking militant atheists... with their... equality... and reason and shit. Why can't they just shut up and let religions oppress people like they always have? We don't need change. The status quo is perfect. Romney/Ryan 2012

Ako is gay and has superaids - Air

Offline Freelix2000

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Meow.
    • View profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 July 2014, 06:29:31 PM »
I'm a Christian, but I think that "faith treatment" is bullshit.

Screw that, the brand on your ass takes priority since it has a physical manifestation. You belong to me, mother trucker.
Freelix is awesome.
Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Freelix2000

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Meow.
    • View profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 July 2014, 06:53:50 PM »
Fucking militant atheists... with their... equality... and reason and shit. Why can't they just shut up and let religions oppress people like they always have? We don't need change. The status quo is perfect. Romney/Ryan 2012
"reason"... That's what I just love about atheism. The "reason" behind it, and its complete consistency with science. The big bang theory, for example, which can either defy the law of conservation of mass which states that matter is neither created nor destroyed, or it can mean that all the mass of the universe was compressed into one tiny area and then for some reason exploded instead of creating a black hole like it always does today and then in the completely accidental explosion created a perfect solar system and a planet with everything to support life and life itself, each being with complex organ systems, tissue, and inside every microscopic cell its own structure and DNA more complicated than any code written by man. Of course evolution explains that, the theory that a tiny organism that's existence still isn't explained somehow survived to evolve into a more complex organism and was somehow complex enough to evolve in the first place, then continued to evolve into an organism so complex that it actually would have needed to be since the beginning to survive. So much reason and logic...

Screw that, the brand on your ass takes priority since it has a physical manifestation. You belong to me, mother trucker.
Freelix is awesome.
Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Airbongo (OP)

• Cheese
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 July 2014, 07:47:19 PM »
"reason"... That's what I just love about atheism. The "reason" behind it, and its complete consistency with science. The big bang theory, for example, which can either defy the law of conservation of mass which states that matter is neither created nor destroyed, or it can mean that all the mass of the universe was compressed into one tiny area and then for some reason exploded instead of creating a black hole like it always does today and then in the completely accidental explosion created a perfect solar system and a planet with everything to support life and life itself, each being with complex organ systems, tissue, and inside every microscopic cell its own structure and DNA more complicated than any code written by man. Of course evolution explains that, the theory that a tiny organism that's existence still isn't explained somehow survived to evolve into a more complex organism and was somehow complex enough to evolve in the first place, then continued to evolve into an organism so complex that it actually would have needed to be since the beginning to survive. So much reason and logic...
Do you realize that you believe in a magical being who created the universe?

Are you denying evolution? You do realize all these changes happened REALLY slowly over millions and millions of year, right? (Unless you are one of the crazy fuckers who still believe the earth is a few thousand years old) If you were half as critical about your religion as you are about science, I guarantee you wouldn't be a Christian anymore. Your holy book is filled with logical fallacies and inconsistencies and you dare mock evolution. #TOPLEL God made Adam and then made Eve using Adam's rib, that makes a lot of sense. Also, your knowledge about evolution isn't very accurate.

the theory that a tiny organism that's existence still isn't explained somehow
"We can't explain its origin yet, Jesus made it!" Then when science explains it, the church adopts this new found knowledge and claims they knew it all along - Christian logic and reason
« Last Edit: 14 July 2014, 07:54:15 PM by Airborne101st45 »

Offline Airbongo (OP)

• Cheese
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 July 2014, 07:55:49 PM »
Also, I just converted to christianism, excuse me for a second while I go rape and slave some hoes, Jesus won't mind, it's in the bible.

Offline JANUARYJONES

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 1
    • View profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 July 2014, 08:07:15 PM »

Offline Freelix2000

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Meow.
    • View profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 July 2014, 09:16:51 PM »
You do realize all these changes happened REALLY slowly over millions and millions of year, right?
That's not my point. If you look up evolution on Google images, you usually see some shit with a monkey getting taller and becoming a human, but is the starting organism there not already so complex? Of course, that means that it is only showing the end of the evolution process, right? Well where does it begin? The part of atheism that evolution is supposed to explain is the creation of such complex organisms, but for it to serve that purpose, the original organism would have to be as simple as a rock. How the hell, then, can it be complex enough to evolve, or even survive? I've heard of a fish, I can't remember its name or much about it, but it lives in a poisonous type of underwater plant where it hides from its predators, as it is immune to the poison. If it evolved into that over the course of millions of years, how did it survive? To anyone who has any kind of flexibility, the idea of an omnipotent being shouldn't be too hard to at least consider. The question is though, how does it go from that to religion, a religion that is slowly becoming a minority, in a world that is against what the omnipotent and all powerful being wants? Or as you probably see it, how does that relate to some guy named Jesus standing over the universe and whispering to one planet "Don't masturbate". I've thought about that, and I've come up with an answer. When God created the universe, he wanted it for a purpose, just as we create things with a purpose. Of course, his purposes aren't like ours, what he needs is to be acknowledged. So he created, and he created humans in his image. To me that concept explains it all. When it says in Genesis that he created Adam out of dust and Eve out of Adam's rib, I believe that the process may not have occurred exactly like that, but even if it did, he has created life out of life, he created Adam out of himself, and Eve out of Adam. That is actually more consistent with science than many "scientific" theories that rely on the concept of spontaneous generation, an idea that was disproved by both Francesco Redi and Lewis Pasteur in two separate experiments. So, why then is there evil if God wanted good, why don't we simply obey him? It is because he created us in his image, and that includes free will. While he created animals without free will, he wanted species, humanity, to be more than just an organic robot. Something that would choose to follow him, rather than be forced to. Humans fell to sin then, and our imperfect world is our punishment. He would have thrown us away, but he loved us. It is just as if a human were to create something that did not quite serve the purpose we want it to serve, but we keep it because it is our first, or because it has sentimental value. And because he loved us, he wanted to save us. He could not keep us on Earth because the penalty for sin is death, and so he sent a savior, Jesus, to pay the price for our sins. We still have free will because we can deny Jesus and not accept forgiveness, but through him we can be saved and made perfect again, and enter the home that God created for himself with the purpose of remaining perfect. So in the end, all it takes to believe in Christianity is to simply believe that an omnipotent being can exist, the rest is explained by the one concept of God creating in his own image. The reason for pain, death, sin, and the reason why a world against its all powerful creator can exist, is because God didn't want us to blindly follow him, he wanted us to look the other way first, then turn back to him and follow with our eyes wide open.
Here's another way to look at it. Imagine that some time in the near future, 15 humans are locked up in an extremely large titanium box. Inside there is water running through a small hole in the top, air flowing through, trees, fruit bearing plants, and many animals and things to provide for the animals. Many generations later, the humans are trying to figure out how they got there. They often study where they are, which is very helpful for finding resources and creating things to make their lives easier. But how could that study ever show them how they got there? How could it explain the infinite stretch of space above them called the sky? It simply cannot. In this case, they would literally have to think outside the box. In the same way, our science cannot explain how we got here or what is beyond us. We think we have seen so much, but we have seen so little. What we have seen is one planet, one over infinite, a number that cannot be described as a decimal because it is infinitely small, and that is enough to completely disprove the existence of a God? Many say that Christians do not think enough, and we are not open minded. But I have considered every other idea, every theory I have ever heard, and I have simply chosen to believe this. But atheists use the little bit that humans have seen, something so small that could never explain how we got here, then you mock any other beliefs and attempt to defeat them with more bullshit.

Freelix is awesome.

Offline JANUARYJONES

• Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 July 2014, 09:31:51 PM »

Start a new paragraph every once in a while. You know, press enter twice.

Offline Freelix2000

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Meow.
    • View profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 July 2014, 09:34:35 PM »
Also, I just converted to christianism, excuse me for a second while I go rape and slave some hoes, Jesus won't mind, it's in the bible.
Where does it say that in the bible? Also, one more thing. May I ask why this thread is titled "This made me sad"? Don't say its because you're sad that someone is going to die of cancer, because I can't think of a reason that you should feel sorry for anyone for any reason. Have you ever wondered if other people have life or sentience, or are they just organic robots? Of course you would say that they are sentient, and they experience what you experience as a human, but actually according to atheism, the two answers are the same thing. Think of it this way. If you look at an illustration for a book that illustrates a fictional house, wondering if someone else is sentient, or acting as if they were, is like looking at the image of a fictional house and wondering if there is a dog behind it, or a person inside it. Unless the author mentioned it, the answer is neither yes or no, because the answers are the same thing. It cannot be yes or no because the image's perspective does not show it, and there is no greater intelligence that says it is there. According to atheism you're not seeing life in one of a million perspectives, it simply is your perspective. Anything outside of your view neither does nor doesn't exist. So why, then, does this make you sad?

Freelix is awesome.

Offline Airbongo (OP)

• Cheese
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 July 2014, 11:49:08 PM »
I can't finish that wall of text tonight, I'll read it tomorrow.

Offline ChaosMushrooms

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • ckiens
    • View profile
« Reply #14 on: 15 July 2014, 02:13:59 AM »
Freelix dis aint school u aint gotta write massive essays, k?

Offline SirLogiC

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #15 on: 15 July 2014, 07:52:07 AM »
You do realize all these changes happened REALLY slowly over millions and millions of year, right?
That's not my point. If you look up evolution on Google images, you usually see some shit with a monkey getting taller and becoming a human, but is the starting organism there not already so complex? Of course, that means that it is only showing the end of the evolution process, right? Well where does it begin? The part of atheism that evolution is supposed to explain is the creation of such complex organisms, but for it to serve that purpose, the original organism would have to be as simple as a rock. How the hell, then, can it be complex enough to evolve, or even survive? I've heard of a fish, I can't remember its name or much about it, but it lives in a poisonous type of underwater plant where it hides from its predators, as it is immune to the poison. If it evolved into that over the course of millions of years, how did it survive? To anyone who has any kind of flexibility, the idea of an omnipotent being shouldn't be too hard to at least consider. The question is though, how does it go from that to religion, a religion that is slowly becoming a minority, in a world that is against what the omnipotent and all powerful being wants? Or as you probably see it, how does that relate to some guy named Jesus standing over the universe and whispering to one planet "Don't masturbate". I've thought about that, and I've come up with an answer. When God created the universe, he wanted it for a purpose, just as we create things with a purpose. Of course, his purposes aren't like ours, what he needs is to be acknowledged. So he created, and he created humans in his image. To me that concept explains it all. When it says in Genesis that he created Adam out of dust and Eve out of Adam's rib, I believe that the process may not have occurred exactly like that, but even if it did, he has created life out of life, he created Adam out of himself, and Eve out of Adam. That is actually more consistent with science than many "scientific" theories that rely on the concept of spontaneous generation, an idea that was disproved by both Francesco Redi and Lewis Pasteur in two separate experiments. So, why then is there evil if God wanted good, why don't we simply obey him? It is because he created us in his image, and that includes free will. While he created animals without free will, he wanted species, humanity, to be more than just an organic robot. Something that would choose to follow him, rather than be forced to. Humans fell to sin then, and our imperfect world is our punishment. He would have thrown us away, but he loved us. It is just as if a human were to create something that did not quite serve the purpose we want it to serve, but we keep it because it is our first, or because it has sentimental value. And because he loved us, he wanted to save us. He could not keep us on Earth because the penalty for sin is death, and so he sent a savior, Jesus, to pay the price for our sins. We still have free will because we can deny Jesus and not accept forgiveness, but through him we can be saved and made perfect again, and enter the home that God created for himself with the purpose of remaining perfect. So in the end, all it takes to believe in Christianity is to simply believe that an omnipotent being can exist, the rest is explained by the one concept of God creating in his own image. The reason for pain, death, sin, and the reason why a world against its all powerful creator can exist, is because God didn't want us to blindly follow him, he wanted us to look the other way first, then turn back to him and follow with our eyes wide open.
Here's another way to look at it. Imagine that some time in the near future, 15 humans are locked up in an extremely large titanium box. Inside there is water running through a small hole in the top, air flowing through, trees, fruit bearing plants, and many animals and things to provide for the animals. Many generations later, the humans are trying to figure out how they got there. They often study where they are, which is very helpful for finding resources and creating things to make their lives easier. But how could that study ever show them how they got there? How could it explain the infinite stretch of space above them called the sky? It simply cannot. In this case, they would literally have to think outside the box. In the same way, our science cannot explain how we got here or what is beyond us. We think we have seen so much, but we have seen so little. What we have seen is one planet, one over infinite, a number that cannot be described as a decimal because it is infinitely small, and that is enough to completely disprove the existence of a God? Many say that Christians do not think enough, and we are not open minded. But I have considered every other idea, every theory I have ever heard, and I have simply chosen to believe this. But atheists use the little bit that humans have seen, something so small that could never explain how we got here, then you mock any other beliefs and attempt to defeat them with more bullshit.

Science isn't atheist, science is open to the possibility there is a god that created the universe. All you have to do is find observable, testable proof. Really evolution has nothing to do with atheism.

Theism is the belief in a god or gods. That's it.  If you believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster you are theist. Buddhism as a religion has no creator god(s), that makes it an atheist religion. Science has nothing to do with religion.

The second big mistake you make is thinking that evolution means things get "more advanced". Viruses couldn't exist without there first being cellular organisms for them to infect. They are less complex than bacteria but equally "more evolved". Human's didn't come from apes. Apes and monkeys came from a common ancestor.

The solar system isn't perfect, nor is the universe. Usually it being considered perfect is a belief of religions, with humans being imperfect beings (having choice) that causes the trouble.

The fish you are talking about is the clown fish.

Ok there are many parts to evolution. There is selection pressure, environmental pressure, which is further influenced by random mutation due to sexual reproduction. Environmental pressure depends on the environment lol, but like is it a stable environment (polar regions? grass plains?) or unstable (deep sea volcanic vent? hot summer + snowy winter?). A rapid change in the environment can lead to rapid adaptive evolution. So like if you dropped a heap of African Swallows in Northern US, most will likely die with the first snow. Any that survive and manage to breed would have resistance to the cold, they would also need to adapt to a new diet. After some generations, if they still survive, the offspring will have adapted to the new environment. It isn't because they changed themselves, it's because those that survived could survive.

Evolution occurs because many die. We are alive today because our chain of ancestors managed to find food, shelter, find mates, resisted injury and disease. We didn't become "more complex", we didn't choose to be more intelligent, it was just something that helped our species survive in the past, because those that weren't as smart or aggressive or short sighted or as stubborn about challenging their beliefs died. People are stubborn about challenging their beliefs, of being critical thinkers, because in the past challenging the wisdom of what is edible or what is safe to hunt or when is a good time to move to a new area to collect berries lead to people dying.

People miss-perceive evolution as some grand design or directed purpose but it isn't, it is purely incidental to successful production of offspring. Religious people tend to not like that, they want there to be a purpose or meaning so thinking that they are lucky to be alive right now doesn't ever occur to them, they prefer to think they have a divine right to be alive now.

Offline Akomine

• Cheese
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #16 on: 15 July 2014, 02:05:37 PM »
Thank you, Sir, for posting a factually correct response

Let's play a game called "Randomly drag my mouse through Freelix's sea of text and copy+paste what I get here then respond to it", shall we?

how does that relate to some guy named Jesus standing over the universe and whispering to one planet "Don't masturbate". I've thought about that, and I've come up with an answer. When God created the universe, he wanted it for a purpose, just as we create things with a purpose. Of course, his purposes aren't like ours, what he needs is to be acknowledged. So he created, and he created humans in his image. To me that concept explains it all. When it says in Genesis that he created Adam out of dust and Eve out of Adam's rib, I believe that the process may not have occurred exactly like that, but even if it did, he has created life out of life, he created Adam out of himself, and Eve out of Adam. That is actually more consistent with science than many "scientific" theories that rely on the concept of spontaneous generation, an idea that was disproved by both Francesco Redi and Lewis Pasteur in two separate experiments.

Why do you make this stuff up? Why not just read about evolution? I don't get it. We have overwhelming peer-reviewed evidence which includes fossils and observation of evolution in action, all of which you can look up. Orrrrr we have your ass, and the asses of anonymous men in the iron age who compiled a complete mess of a book. Which one is more reliably correct?

You start at the position that your god exists but don't have proof. Prove your god is real. Why aren't other people's gods the real ones?
You make things up about your god and the universe that sound nice to you, rather than follow what the evidence says. Prove the universe has purpose.

And hold on one second... you believe in adam and eve? You think the human race is only a few thousand years old? You claim this is actually MORE consistent with science? You should stop using the words "science" and "theory" until you can grasp what they are. I'd be happy to point you in the right direction if you're willing to learn.

Also, what the fuck are you thinking calling spontaneous generation a scientific theory? Are you pretending that is what scientists claim about evolution? Honestly, man, you REALLY need to read about evolution some more, it's pretty cool stuff. You clearly don't understand it. If you're interested in the scientific study of where life began on Earth, then look into abiogenesis. The Bible is not a science book, it is an ancient poetry book at best.

Offline CSB

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • I like Penguins.
    • View profile
« Reply #17 on: 15 July 2014, 05:23:48 PM »
The Bible is not a science book, it is an ancient poetry book at best.

☐ Not REKT
☑ REKT

Ok, in my defense, when I visited the link i was very high and didn't realize it was the onion. Now i shamed myself. fags
FUCK YOU FGTS

Offline ThePandaWonder

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: -1
  • 9/11
    • View profile
    • Fuck yeah its Cheese!
« Reply #18 on: 15 July 2014, 05:28:24 PM »

The Bible is not a science book, it is an ancient poetry book at best.

I said this countless times (IRL) if I someone got their hands on a time machine and replaced the bible with another Fairy tale book, everyone would believe that Unicorns are real. The bible is just a book that was in the right place at the right time with the right people to make it a religion

Offline Freelix2000

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Meow.
    • View profile
« Reply #19 on: 15 July 2014, 06:27:24 PM »

Let's play a game called "Randomly drag my mouse through Freelix's sea of text and copy+paste what I get here then respond to it", shall we?

how does that relate to some guy named Jesus standing over the universe and whispering to one planet "Don't masturbate". I've thought about that, and I've come up with an answer. When God created the universe, he wanted it for a purpose, just as we create things with a purpose. Of course, his purposes aren't like ours, what he needs is to be acknowledged. So he created, and he created humans in his image. To me that concept explains it all. When it says in Genesis that he created Adam out of dust and Eve out of Adam's rib, I believe that the process may not have occurred exactly like that, but even if it did, he has created life out of life, he created Adam out of himself, and Eve out of Adam. That is actually more consistent with science than many "scientific" theories that rely on the concept of spontaneous generation, an idea that was disproved by both Francesco Redi and Lewis Pasteur in two separate experiments.

Why do you make this stuff up? Why not just read about evolution? I don't get it. We have overwhelming peer-reviewed evidence which includes fossils and observation of evolution in action, all of which you can look up. Orrrrr we have your ass, and the asses of anonymous men in the iron age who compiled a complete mess of a book. Which one is more reliably correct?

You start at the position that your god exists but don't have proof. Prove your god is real. Why aren't other people's gods the real ones?
You make things up about your god and the universe that sound nice to you, rather than follow what the evidence says. Prove the universe has purpose.

And hold on one second... you believe in adam and eve? You think the human race is only a few thousand years old? You claim this is actually MORE consistent with science? You should stop using the words "science" and "theory" until you can grasp what they are. I'd be happy to point you in the right direction if you're willing to learn.

Also, what the fuck are you thinking calling spontaneous generation a scientific theory? Are you pretending that is what scientists claim about evolution? Honestly, man, you REALLY need to read about evolution some more, it's pretty cool stuff. You clearly don't understand it. If you're interested in the scientific study of where life began on Earth, then look into abiogenesis. The Bible is not a science book, it is an ancient poetry book at best.
Fossils don't prove shit. They prove that organisms do evolve over time, but not the evolution theory. I believe that a creature can become more advanced and evolve over time, that doesn't mean that humans started with some tiny life form that's presence still isn't explained, then over millions of years magically evolved into a million species. Again, the evolution theory is supposed to explain how a random explosion can create complex life, and it doesn't really explain that unless the starting organism was incredibly simple, to simple to evolve or even survive.

Freelix is awesome.

Offline Freelix2000

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Meow.
    • View profile
« Reply #20 on: 15 July 2014, 06:34:01 PM »

Just read a bit more of your bullshit and realized I didn't address everything. First, I started that point from the position that my God exists without first proving it because proving it wasn't the point I was making at that moment. I was explaining how it goes from one omnipotent being to the religion I believe, and second because honestly I cannot prove that my God exists. Just as you cannot disprove him.
When I said that is more consistent with science, I wasn't exactly talking about the evolution theory. I've heard a lot of bullshit about where life starts, where the first simple organism came from, and the one I was really addressing is the theory that it came from some "chemicals of life" on a comet or meteor and landed in an ocean or lake, then somehow became life. That theory agrees with spontaneous generation, a theory that has been disproved.

Freelix is awesome.

Offline Airbongo (OP)

• Cheese
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #21 on: 15 July 2014, 06:49:10 PM »

Just read a bit more of your bullshit and realized I didn't address everything. First, I started that point from the position that my God exists without first proving it because proving it wasn't the point I was making at that moment. I was explaining how it goes from one omnipotent being to the religion I believe, and second because honestly I cannot prove that my God exists. Just as you cannot disprove him.
When I said that is more consistent with science, I wasn't exactly talking about the evolution theory. I've heard a lot of bullshit about where life starts, where the first simple organism came from, and the one I was really addressing is the theory that it came from some "chemicals of life" on a comet or meteor and landed in an ocean or lake, then somehow became life. That theory agrees with spontaneous generation, a theory that has been disproved.
That has nothing to do with evolution.
"Just read a bit more of your bullshit"
Please enlighten us, wheres the bullshit?

Offline Airbongo (OP)

• Cheese
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #22 on: 15 July 2014, 06:57:42 PM »
Also, I do not think the idea of an imnipotent being is silly, I think that thinking that being inspired ancient sexist men to write a book full of hateful bullshit, is stupid.

I don't understand it when people call themselves Christians while nit picking the book they based their believes on.

Offline Akomine

• Cheese
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #23 on: 15 July 2014, 07:18:45 PM »
Fossils don't prove shit. They prove that organisms do evolve over time, but not the evolution theory.
WHAT?
Fossils don't prove shit.
Fossils do prove evolution.
Fossils don't prove evolution.

Make up your mind.

Among other things, fossils are excellent sources of evidence for evolution and the age of life on Earth (far older than Adam and Eve).

I believe that a creature can become more advanced and evolve over time, that doesn't mean that humans started with some tiny life form that's presence still isn't explained, then over millions of years magically evolved into a million species.
Just because we do not currently have a complete understanding of abiogenesis does NOT mean evolution is invalid. Abiogenesis (the start of life) is a completely different study from evolution. Science is constantly expanding our knowledge, and not yet knowing things is not grounds for discrediting it. I take issue with your use of the word magic, because speciation is an ever more well-understood physical process, completely magic-free.

Again, the evolution theory is supposed to explain how a random explosion can create complex life, and it doesn't really explain that unless the starting organism was incredibly simple, to simple to evolve or even survive.
No, evolution is not supposed to explain the origins of our universe. Evolution explains speciation. An evolutionary biologist and an astrophysicist are involved in very different fields of science.

Just read a bit more of your bullshit and realized I didn't address everything. First, I started that point from the position that my God exists without first proving it because proving it wasn't the point I was making at that moment.
Fair enough. I did just grab a slice of text because you wrote a massive wall. Regardless, you need to prove your god exists before making claims based on it existing.

I was explaining how it goes from one omnipotent being to the religion I believe, and second because honestly I cannot prove that my God exists. Just as you cannot disprove him.

I do not need to disprove something that does not exist. The burden of proof is on the person who is making the claim. Prove the Flying Spaghetti Monster doesn't exist. Oh you can't? FSM MUST BE REAL! ONE TRUE LORD. NOODLY APPENDAGES TOUCH US ALL.

If I recall correctly, spontaneous generation is disproven bullshit that says things like dustmites can suddenly come into existence from dust. It is a very old idea that predates science. It is obviously incorrect.

The hypothesis that organic chemicals can form rudimentary processes that can then become basic prokaryote-esque cellular life is being investigated, and is not necessarily complete bullshit. It may actually be accurate. Scientists are trying to replicate the environment that existed in Earth's early history that may have given rise to this type of abiogenesis.

Life coming from a space object is also interesting, because we know that some animals are capable of living unprotected in space, such as tardigrades.

Offline Airbongo (OP)

• Cheese
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #24 on: 15 July 2014, 07:34:09 PM »

Offline Freelix2000

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Meow.
    • View profile
« Reply #25 on: 15 July 2014, 07:40:02 PM »
Fossils don't prove shit. They prove that organisms do evolve over time, but not the evolution theory.
WHAT?
Fossils don't prove shit.
Fossils do prove evolution.
Fossils don't prove evolution.

Make up your mind.

Among other things, fossils are excellent sources of evidence for evolution and the age of life on Earth (far older than Adam and Eve).

I believe that a creature can become more advanced and evolve over time, that doesn't mean that humans started with some tiny life form that's presence still isn't explained, then over millions of years magically evolved into a million species.
Just because we do not currently have a complete understanding of abiogenesis does NOT mean evolution is invalid. Abiogenesis (the start of life) is a completely different study from evolution. Science is constantly expanding our knowledge, and not yet knowing things is not grounds for discrediting it. I take issue with your use of the word magic, because speciation is an ever more well-understood physical process, completely magic-free.

Again, the evolution theory is supposed to explain how a random explosion can create complex life, and it doesn't really explain that unless the starting organism was incredibly simple, to simple to evolve or even survive.
No, evolution is not supposed to explain the origins of our universe. Evolution explains speciation. An evolutionary biologist and an astrophysicist are involved in very different fields of science.

Just read a bit more of your bullshit and realized I didn't address everything. First, I started that point from the position that my God exists without first proving it because proving it wasn't the point I was making at that moment.
Fair enough. I did just grab a slice of text because you wrote a massive wall. Regardless, you need to prove your god exists before making claims based on it existing.

I was explaining how it goes from one omnipotent being to the religion I believe, and second because honestly I cannot prove that my God exists. Just as you cannot disprove him.

I do not need to disprove something that does not exist. The burden of proof is on the person who is making the claim. Prove the Flying Spaghetti Monster doesn't exist. Oh you can't? FSM MUST BE REAL! ONE TRUE LORD. NOODLY APPENDAGES TOUCH US ALL.

If I recall correctly, spontaneous generation is disproven bullshit that says things like dustmites can suddenly come into existence from dust. It is a very old idea that predates science. It is obviously incorrect.

The hypothesis that organic chemicals can form rudimentary processes that can then become basic prokaryote-esque cellular life is being investigated, and is not necessarily complete bullshit. It may actually be accurate. Scientists are trying to replicate the environment that existed in Earth's early history that may have given rise to this type of abiogenesis.

Life coming from a space object is also interesting, because we know that some animals are capable of living unprotected in space, such as tardigrades.
Fossils prove evolution. They do not prove that humans and every other species evolved from one small organism from space.

I never said evolution was invalid. I said your proof is invalid for proving that humans and many other species of Earth evolved from a small organism from space.

I didn't say evolution is supposed to explain the origins of the universe. I said its supposed to explain how a complex organism with organ systems to support its life, organs that function to serve countless purposes for countless species, each one with thousands of cells with their own structure and DNA more complicated than any written code, could occur from the creation of a universe that was not created by an intelligent being. And really, evolution does an extremely shitty job at explaining that.

Freelix is awesome.

Offline Freelix2000

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Meow.
    • View profile
« Reply #26 on: 15 July 2014, 07:41:21 PM »

Would you like to contribute to the debate, or just post shit? I do understand that VC forums is the best place on the internet for shitposting, and if you would like I can go to Google images and find something for atheism as well.

Freelix is awesome.

Offline Airbongo (OP)

• Cheese
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #27 on: 15 July 2014, 07:53:10 PM »

Would you like to contribute to the debate, or just post shit? I do understand that VC forums is the best place on the internet for shitposting, and if you would like I can go to Google images and find something for atheism as well.
What? Sir and Ako already pointed out all of the fallacies in your argument and you proved little understanding about evolution. I was simply trying to add some comedic value to the thread because it was turning bitter (your angry comment is a perfect example). No need to get your jimmies rustled.

Please get some pictures bashing atheism, they make me feel fuzzy inside.

Offline Akomine

• Cheese
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #28 on: 15 July 2014, 08:10:35 PM »
Fossils prove evolution.
Correct.

They do not prove that humans and every other species evolved from one small organism from space.
???
Correct, we do not have a fossil of a space creature. I have no idea what this has to do with anything.

I never said evolution was invalid. I said your proof is invalid for proving that humans and many other species of Earth evolved from a small organism from space.
???
When did I ever claim this? None of us here did. Why are you saying we did? WHAT?

I didn't say evolution is supposed to explain the origins of the universe.
WHAT THE HELL? The big bang has fucking nothing to do with evolution, and yet look at what you said:
Fossils don't prove shit. They prove that organisms do evolve over time, but not the evolution theory. I believe that a creature can become more advanced and evolve over time, that doesn't mean that humans started with some tiny life form that's presence still isn't explained, then over millions of years magically evolved into a million species. Again, the evolution theory is supposed to explain how a random explosion can create complex life, and it doesn't really explain that unless the starting organism was incredibly simple, to simple to evolve or even survive.

You clearly lack an understanding of both concepts. I'm not trying to be rude by saying this, I'm just trying to point out that you need to increase you knowledge in these areas so you don't make these mistakes.

I said its supposed to explain how a complex organism with organ systems to support its life, organs that function to serve countless purposes for countless species, each one with thousands of cells with their own structure and DNA more complicated than any written code, could occur from the creation of a universe that was not created by an intelligent being. And really, evolution does an extremely shitty job at explaining that.
So because it is hard for you to comprehend the sheer scale of evolution, you just revert to "oh god must have done it"? Pretty lame. Often what religious people do though, so not unexpected.

Evolution does an excellent job of explaining how one population can change over time. Given a LOT of time, the changes can be drastic. Given a LOT LOT LOT of time, an organism's evolutionary tree can go on to become many new species, including ones much, much different. This includes an aquatic creature serving as the ancestor to modern great apes (such as humans). Just because something is very complex does not mean it requires a deity.

Interestingly enough, evolution is very imperfect. Humans have bad backs because we are unusual among great apes in that we stand upright, and yet the evolution of our backs is not up to snuff. Giraffes have incredibly long laryngeal nerves that go from their brain, all the way down their neck and then back up again to their larynx, because they evolved to have very long necks but evolution does not have an end goal or work perfectly. The result is an extremely inefficient nerve spanning metres instead of centimetres. Pretty poorly designed there, god.

If your god designed it, why did he do such a bad job?

Also, since you can't prove your god, why do you bother believing in him? Why not another god? Why not no god? Please consider the Flying Spaghetti Monster, for he is so noodly and delicious.

Offline Freelix2000

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Meow.
    • View profile
« Reply #29 on: 15 July 2014, 09:31:25 PM »
Fossils prove evolution.
Correct.

They do not prove that humans and every other species evolved from one small organism from space.
???
Correct, we do not have a fossil of a space creature. I have no idea what this has to do with anything.

???
When did I ever claim this? None of us here did. Why are you saying we did? WHAT?

I didn't say evolution is supposed to explain the origins of the universe.
WHAT THE HELL? The big bang has fucking nothing to do with evolution, and yet look at what you said:

You clearly lack an understanding of both concepts. I'm not trying to be rude by saying this, I'm just trying to point out that you need to increase you knowledge in these areas so you don't make these mistakes.

I said its supposed to explain how a complex organism with organ systems to support its life, organs that function to serve countless purposes for countless species, each one with thousands of cells with their own structure and DNA more complicated than any written code, could occur from the creation of a universe that was not created by an intelligent being. And really, evolution does an extremely shitty job at explaining that.
So because it is hard for you to comprehend the sheer scale of evolution, you just revert to "oh god must have done it"? Pretty lame. Often what religious people do though, so not unexpected.

Evolution does an excellent job of explaining how one population can change over time. Given a LOT of time, the changes can be drastic. Given a LOT LOT LOT of time, an organism's evolutionary tree can go on to become many new species, including ones much, much different. This includes an aquatic creature serving as the ancestor to modern great apes (such as humans). Just because something is very complex does not mean it requires a deity.

Interestingly enough, evolution is very imperfect. Humans have bad backs because we are unusual among great apes in that we stand upright, and yet the evolution of our backs is not up to snuff. Giraffes have incredibly long laryngeal nerves that go from their brain, all the way down their neck and then back up again to their larynx, because they evolved to have very long necks but evolution does not have an end goal or work perfectly. The result is an extremely inefficient nerve spanning metres instead of centimetres. Pretty poorly designed there, god.

If your god designed it, why did he do such a bad job?

Also, since you can't prove your god, why do you bother believing in him? Why not another god? Why not no god? Please consider the Flying Spaghetti Monster, for he is so noodly and delicious.
???
This includes an aquatic creature serving as the ancestor to modern great apes (such as humans). Just because something is very complex does not mean it requires a deity.
I understand that the next thing I said did include the big bang theory, but I wasn't pointing my focus towards it, just using one of the atheist examples of how the universe was created. I was saying that evolution is supposed to explain how organisms can become what they are today from the start of the universe, if the universe was not created by an intelligent being. It does terrible at explaining that because that would mean the starting organism would have to be extremely simple, too simple to survive of evolve. I do not say that God must have done it because I cannot comprehend evolution, but because it simply does not add up. Here's a shitty example, but you get the point: If giraffes have long necks so that they can eat from the top of tall trees and plants, how did they survive before evolving into that? That's a bad example because a giraffe probably could survive without its long neck, but what about the many other organisms that inherit essential traits to help them survive in their environment that they simply could not live without? Is it because they started in another environment? If so, that would mean the change would have had to occur within a day, or they would have had to have started developing a long neck before they ever even needed to eat from a tall tree.
Giraffes have incredibly long laryngeal nerves that go from their brain, all the way down their neck and then back up again to their larynx, because they evolved to have very long necks but evolution does not have an end goal or work perfectly. The result is an extremely inefficient nerve spanning metres instead of centimetres. Pretty poorly designed there, god.
Maybe God doesn't want all animals to be super animals? But why the hell would a tiny change that occurs over millions of years have flaws? It seems like a process that takes so long and works so slowly should be more precise.
Also, since you can't prove your god, why do you bother believing in him?
Ako, please just take the time to read this. =P

You can't prove evolution. You can't prove the big bang theory. You can give reasons to believe it, just as I can give reasons to believe in God, but you cannot prove it. No theory for how we got here has ever been proven. Why not another god? The other religions don't make sense to me. They offer no explanation for why we live in a world with sin, why their god does not show himself and make himself well known, or a reason why their god hasn't killed us all because of our imperfections. The Bible includes explanation for all of that.
We live on one of millions of planets that just happens to be perfect for supporting life. We only find life where we are, and we only find intelligent lives in ourselves. When we find something that is not immediately explained and appears to have structure and design, like the Stonehenge, we begin to wonder what intelligent life has created it. Now we see our planet, perfect for supporting life, with plants that bear fruit for us and streams that provide water for us. When we look close enough at our own hands, we see millions of cells, each one with DNA more complicated than any written code or language. And now we think it came from an explosion. We know we got here somehow and we have many ideas, but really the only difference between atheism and theism is the difference between thinking we, a species that is complex beyond even our own understanding, (mostly referring to our lack of ability to create intelligence) either came from intelligence or random explosions. There are obviously things that we cannot see, such as our own sentience. We are not simply moving parts, we can actually feel and experience, and we assume the ones around us do too. That cannot be explained by science, and science cannot prove that it must be accompanied by a body, nor that its power or knowledge should be limited. Science therefore cannot disprove God, and although many of us do not believe because we do not see it, even logic cannot defy a God. That is why I choose to believe.

Also, Ako, I found a bug in my Halo plugin... You may not want to install it yet. I'm working on a fix. =)
« Last Edit: 15 July 2014, 09:37:27 PM by Freelix2000 »

Freelix is awesome.

Offline JANUARYJONES

• Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #30 on: 15 July 2014, 09:45:56 PM »
What happened to starting new paragraphs?

Quote from: Freelix2000
I do understand that VC forums is the best place on the internet for shitposting

What do you think your posts are on VC?
When I said you should let this go it was good advice. Nobody here is going to take you serious or probably even read what you have to say when you make solid walls of text and are incapable of debating because you are so hostile and getting your jimmies rustled.