Author Topic: Village Craft Economy  (Read 3531 times)

Offline Ir0ck42 (OP)

• Member of Parliament
  • Villager
  • Llamas: 0
    • View profile
Village Craft Economy
« on: 16 May 2018, 11:11:51 AM »
It seems to me as an older member that the economy has been stagnating. The only really easy way to make money is pumpkin farms and because of that we have a lot of pumpkin barons dominating the top 10 richest. I think it is time to revitalize this economy whether it be by restarting it or pumping new ideas into it. One of the biggest problems in my eyes is that prices are always the same, this is why the pumpkins have been so popular. I think to remedy this we should have an adaptive market place (granted I don't know how we will do this but anyways) if someone is selling a lot of pumpkins have the price of pumpkins fall netting them less money, but conversely if someone bought a lot of pumpkins have the price rise (why they buy pumpkins I have no clue) or in the case of things that don't see a lot of purchases have the price slowly normalize again until sold again. This should apply to anything, and it would provide a cool new dynamic to making and spending money. One of the other big problems is that there is a lot of old money (I never had money Octo would spot me some when I needed it :) ).  Well it isn't really a problem I just like throwing a spark and hoping to start a fire, the issue with the old money is that it doesn't really change hands so we should add some more risk/reward systems to maybe give some incentive to use some of the (million billions? how high are we now) players have collected. Out side of the adaptive market I have no flushed out ideas but I think that the economy can only be better and more interactive if we take steps to enhance it. 
Curiously enough, the only thing that went through the mind of the bowl of petunias as it fell was Oh no, not again. Many people have speculated that if we knew exactly why the bowl of petunias had thought that we would know a lot more about the nature of the Universe than we do now.

Offline OctoGamer

• Staff Member | Forum Mod
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 22
  • #vc4lyfe
    • View profile
Re: Village Craft Economy
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2018, 12:12:20 PM »
@Noket DYNMARKET!!

yeh we were doing this at one point but it never got finished its a great idea tho cus pumpkins rule the economy, i think we should set restrictions on big auto farms and even make people pay taxes (since it lags the server) they could pay taxes to own big farms like businesses pay taxes on there buisinesses.

i don't think vc has gone to shit because it's unprofessional; in fact, that's why it is still good

Offline Ir0ck42 (OP)

• Member of Parliament
  • Villager
    • View profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2018, 09:35:46 AM »
Taxing autofarms is a good idea. General taxes on large plots of land could a viable way to keep people invested in the making of money. i would like some feedback, lets start a discussion and see what works for us as a collective, but just note that we all will be spending more money but it is for the sake of a more interesting economy.
Curiously enough, the only thing that went through the mind of the bowl of petunias as it fell was Oh no, not again. Many people have speculated that if we knew exactly why the bowl of petunias had thought that we would know a lot more about the nature of the Universe than we do now.

Offline Yvette

• Staff Member
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 7
    • View profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2018, 01:08:46 PM »
I guess my opinion is to be reserved until summer comes in a few weeks. If activity still doesn't pick up in the summer then I don't see any good reason to make big changes to the server
(honestly no change would suddenly bring in a large amount of people, it would be more about improving it for the people here)
If activity does pick up though then this would be good to look into. But if summer rolls around and we're still only getting 5 or 6 people at peak times during summer then there's really no reason
VC always has been like this. It has ebbs and flows, just like my menstrual periods

<[VIP] ~VieuxRiche> get with your reading skills and dont piss off powerful elite

How the fuck is @Jakrelia staff, shes probably r/againsthatesubreddits or some gay shit. 0/10 review on yelp.

Offline Ir0ck42 (OP)

• Member of Parliament
  • Villager
    • View profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2018, 01:43:15 PM »
I have the opposite opinion I think a big change will help bring in new people and make it more welcoming to older players returning. I know I would play more with a newer economy, as the old one never got me interested (shown by I never really made my own money). I am not saying we remove the older players wealth but changing how we use it and make it could be fun for new and old players.

Offline CRH244

• Member of Parliament
  • Villager
  • Llamas: 1
  • Tee hee.
    • View profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2018, 04:12:41 PM »
One interesting addition to the economy could be stocks as they could constantly be changing the baltop.
"Jugglers and singers require applause."

Offline Yvette

• Staff Member
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 7
    • View profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2018, 05:28:23 PM »
I have the opposite opinion I think a big change will help bring in new people and make it more welcoming to older players returning. I know I would play more with a newer economy, as the old one never got me interested (shown by I never really made my own money). I am not saying we remove the older players wealth but changing how we use it and make it could be fun for new and old players.
The player base of Minecraft is shrinking everyday, we can't really do anything to bring in new players at this point.
VC always has been like this. It has ebbs and flows, just like my menstrual periods

<[VIP] ~VieuxRiche> get with your reading skills and dont piss off powerful elite

How the fuck is @Jakrelia staff, shes probably r/againsthatesubreddits or some gay shit. 0/10 review on yelp.

Offline Ir0ck42 (OP)

• Member of Parliament
  • Villager
    • View profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2018, 08:03:01 PM »
CRH I like your point a dynamic stock market could definitely shake up the baltop and I would really like to see it implemented. Jakrelia I have to agree so the changes to the server should be for the enjoyment of the active members. That being said things not changing won't do anything to benefit the server I say these are positive changes to make VillageCraft more enjoyable for us.

Lividup64

« Reply #8 on: 18 May 2018, 02:27:09 AM »
CRH I like your point a dynamic stock market could definitely shake up the baltop and I would really like to see it implemented. Jakrelia I have to agree so the changes to the server should be for the enjoyment of the active members. That being said things not changing won't do anything to benefit the server I say these are positive changes to make VillageCraft more enjoyable for us.

We tried to introduce a stock market via the  Bitcoin plugin, and although parliament passed it, it was unpopular with many people, because they thought that vc was a building not an economics server and "only people with bitcoin experience will benefit" but hey, whatever.

Offline Ir0ck42 (OP)

• Member of Parliament
  • Villager
    • View profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 May 2018, 11:04:11 AM »
We tried to introduce a stock market via the  Bitcoin plugin, and although parliament passed it, it was unpopular with many people, because they thought that vc was a building not an economics server and "only people with bitcoin experience will benefit" but hey, whatever.
I think that it is good that we have thought this over before and change has at least been put forward, but now is not time to villanize the opposition. I do however think they are wrong on what kind of server VillageCraft is sure it is a building server (hell it's minecraft 80% of the game is building) but I could just build on a single player game. I think VillageCraft can(should) offer something that can't be done in single player (The economy we have now doesn't really count in my eyes it is too bare bones). An more in depth and active economy is something we can do to set the server apart from the solo experience.
P.S. I know that the community is another thing that sets it aside from solo but you said your self that we have a max traffic of like 6 so why is that? what are we doing wrong? and how do we fix it? and the answer is not staying the same.

Offline Ir0ck42 (OP)

• Member of Parliament
  • Villager
    • View profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 May 2018, 12:25:20 PM »
The player base of Minecraft is shrinking everyday, we can't really do anything to bring in new players at this point.
You say the community of Minecraft is dying and I would like to agree but the numbers right now look like they are doing just fine. This is also a very negative standpoint that seems to show you have abandoned the idea VillageCraft could ever do better than it has been doing. Minecraft is still selling very well(granted across all platforms but still), but thats not the numbers I am worried about. An article I found says the active monthly player count is just shy of 75 million so it couldn't be unreasonable to attract new players.
http://www.businessinsider.com/minecraft-has-74-million-monthly-players-2018-1
Ps. Some concessions I don't know the current months active player count, I don't know if thats on all platforms or just PC, I also don't know how reputable the site is so don't try to get me there I warned you in advance.

Offline luisc99

• Staff Member | Administrator
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 60
    • View profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 May 2018, 04:47:36 PM »
I don't know if thats on all platforms or just PC, I also don't know how reputable the site is so don't try to get me there I warned you in advance.

Based on the fact Mojang rebranded Minecraft as "Minecraft: Java Edition" and made the Bedrock Edition the 'proper' "Minecraft", I'd reckon the 75mil is across all platforms.

Also they're a fairly trustworthy site

I think VillageCraft can(should) offer something that can't be done in single player (The economy we have now doesn't really count in my eyes it is too bare bones). An more in depth and active economy is something we can do to set the server apart from the solo experience.

In responce to this, I've been doing a lot of random coding in my free time, slowly building up a library I hope to properly add more things to VC. My course is very busy, especially these past few months (which is why I haven't been on as much), but in some of my free time I've been trying to push Spigot/Minecraft to its realistic limits, to see what can be done with it. That, combined with some of the changes coming in 1.13, should allow me to add some pretty cool things to VC. I've got some ideas in the back of my mind, but I don't want to announce them until I can make sure it's feasible to add.

Oh, and there's something else I've been working on for literally ages (the oldest file is nearly 4 years old), which will help set VC apart. It's a huge project though, so no promises as to when that'll be finished.